Review of Professional SharePoint 2010 Administration book by Wrox publishing.
If you are or will be in charge of administering SharePoint 2010, please don’t think twice and pick up this book. You’ll definitely need it!
A very critical message that unfortunately many people miss about SharePoint is that it is truly a ‘platform’. Many of the solutions that you will need on this platform are already created for you such as Sites as containers for content, Lists and Libraries, Security framework, Enterprise Search capability, Business Process management, Forms management and more. No need to recreate the wheel by creating any of these components using code. Rather ‘enhance’ what’s already there by administering and configuring it properly. This is where this book comes in. Todd, Shane and Steve do an Awesome job at hitting on all the major areas that you will need to consider when rolling out SharePoint 2010 in your organization. Use it to plan, install, configure and then maintain SharePoint 2010.
Important areas that the book covers –
- Architecture planning before even thinking about installation
- Upgrading from SharePoint 2007 to 2010
- Installation and configuration of SharePoint 2010
- Securing SharePoint (including usage of the new Claims based authentication) and its content at various levels
- Tour around the Central Administration
- The backup and restore capabilities
- Configuring Service Applications (Managed Metadata, User Profiles, Business Connectivity Services, PerformancePoint Services, and more)
- Branding in SharePoint
I would definitely recommend buying this book. You will not regret it. Guaranteed!
Also, if you are looking for video instruction on how to accomplish many of the tasks and configuration steps in SharePoint 2010, check out SharePoint 2010 Fundamentals DVD. Let me know if you have questions.