Last month, I started to focus on specific industries and how SharePoint provides value to each of them. The focus of the first blog in this series was how SharePoint is used in Education sector. This week’s blog is going to focus on the Energy sector and how a properly leveraged SharePoint instance can greatly improve the business processes/workflows and employee effectiveness for companies in the Energy sector. I will outline some common issues that companies in this industry encounter and some thoughts on how to resolve these issues. While doing so (and when applicable), I’ll point to the SharePoint video tutorials that complement the points.
Challenges in Energy Sector
The energy and utilities sector is one of the most heavily regulated industries in the market. Numerous regulations govern how business is conducted, and how information maintained by companies is handled and audited. From regulations to emergencies, energy companies are constantly looking for new ways to improve on practices for the benefit of their customers and employees. According to U.S. Department of energy there will be a 54% increase in energy consumption by 2025. There is a huge challenge for the energy companies to efficiently match production to match demand.
With growth, come new challenges. The focus of most enterprises is to improve plant efficiency, improve compliance and reduce downtime, allowing an overall improvement in competitive positioning. Planning, control and education are essential to managing efficiency. Having effective and auditable change management processes is critical to business. Utility organizations that generate and deliver power have to maintain personnel and medical files for thousands of employees at multiple locations. Compliance to regulations requires a central storage to maintain all employee details with work locations and proper audit trail. All policies, procedures, process workflows have to be maintained for instant review when required.
How SharePoint can help
Energy companies attempt to reduce their capital exposure by partnering with others on capital-intensive projects. Effective collaboration among owners, operators and vendors in these partnerships is essential. It is critical to ensure that everyone is maintaining the same data sets and complying with regulations. When utilizing Microsoft SharePoint as a mission-critical collaboration platform and digital asset repository, organizations must have the tools they need to satisfy these constantly evolving regulations comprehensively and with procedural rigor.
Following are some of the proven ways of maintaining consistent processes and sets of records:
- Consolidate disparate web presence sites into a single solution saving potentially millions of dollars annually (the value of SharePoint explained in plain English)
- Simplify investigation, analysis and reporting by storing data got from devices designed to detect impending failures (use SQL Reporting Services to report data).
- Geographically dispersed geophysicists, reservoir engineers, drilling engineers are empowered to collaborate on similar projects (simplify Project Management with SharePoint team sites)
- Cost reduction of vital engineering documentation by enabling search and versioning features. (control and manage Document Versioning)
- Collaboratively manage content and enable authoring permissions and review (Secure and enable content for the target audience)
- Metadata allows users to search and navigate to the right information (Manage Metadata and Taxonomy for all applications)
- Publish schedules for shutdown & maintenance of refining facilities to ensure co-ordination between staff (Use publishing site to broadcast information)
Note: In addition to the links above, you can browse through the index of our complete video library of 409 videos.
How we at SharePoint-Videos.com can help
We offer remote consulting and on-demand training solutions for SharePoint. When you are ready to learn more about how we can help your organization, contact us online or give us a call at +1 630-786-7026. We can walk you through the possible solutions to see if it’s a good fit for your needs.